Basic Characteristics of the Montessori Classroom:
- A multi-aged, multi-graded, group of students.
- A diverse set of Montessori materials, activities, and experiences, which are designed to foster physical, intellectual, creative, and social independence.
- A schedule that allows for uninterrupted learning time to problem solve, to see the interdisciplinary connections of knowledge, and to create new ideas.
- A classroom atmosphere that encourages social interaction for cooperative learning, peer teaching, and emotional development.
- Teachers/Guides, who have the ability and dedication to put the key concepts into practice.
- A partnership with the family. The family is considered an integral part of the individual’s total development.